The "Little White House"
The "Little White House" is located on a hill overlooking the Tamsui River. It was once the residential quarters of foreign customs officers living in Taiwan during the Ching Dynasty.
In 1858, after the second opium war, Taiwan opened its ports to free trade. Tamsui soon became one of Taiwan's major ports. To accommodate for the influx of foreign customs officers, Tamsui Customs built three luxury houses. The houses show features of colonial architecture popular at the time: chalk-white arched corridors and a red-brick interior typical of houses during the Victorian Period.
In 1996, the site came close to being scrapped. Under the pressure of local citizens, it was restored and is now a Class Three National Historic Monument.