Fort San Domingo
Fort San Domingo, also known as Fort Antonio, was originally a wooden fort built by the Spanish in 1629.
The Spanish built Fort San Domingo as the base for their colony in Northern Taiwan. In 1642, the Dutch who had colonized Southern Taiwan advanced north, drove out the Spanish, and built a new fortress, which is the one that stands today. Due to the fact that Taiwan locals called the Dutch "Hung Mao" (the red-haired), the fortress is known to the Taiwanese as the Hung Mao Fortress.
After WWII, the Republic of China severed relations with the UK and the fortress came under the control of Australia and then America, until it was reclaimed by the Republic of China (Taiwan) in 1980. The fortress was renovated and graded as a Class One National Historic Monument. It is now open to the public.